Spirulina Algae

Spirulina Algae

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

algae lab

I've worked at the spirulina algae lab now for over three months. I love many things about this job. For one, it offers me lots of freedom on time. I can come and go as I please. I choose the days and the hours that I work. I get to bring my kids to work as often as I please and they fish for long hours in the pond. I get a list of things to get done and all I have too do is complete them. I find many aspects of the job fascinating, some of which have nothing to do with the algae it's self. The other day I came across a huge harry spider that was not a Tarantella. I was both intrigued and mortified. I've also found several very thin, very skinny worms that live in the ponds. They added some great conversation to my entomology class last semester.

Did I mention that I have gone back to school. I am a full time student at Imperial Valley College. I.V.C. is a small community college in the county of Imperial California. We have a great agricultural program.

The days on the algae farm are filled with beauty as well. Surrounding our lab are several wheat crops, alfalfa crops, as well as Sudan grass crops. We also are very close to a bird sanctuary which has brought several snowy egrets and ducks to our pond.

I don't know why I am writing about the algae lab except that it is charming and makes me so happy I want to share it with those that read this. So, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment