Spirulina Algae

Spirulina Algae

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The insanity begins

This week, on February 14th, my spring semester began. I spent every hour and a half rushing to the next Math 90 class to crash. I crashed a total of 6 math classes that day. I got there at 8:10 and left around 6:00 so that I could run to another campus and try to crash a Math 90 class in Brawley at 6:30. I did manage to get into the final math class of the night, however it ended up having major scheduling conflicts with one of my Ag. classes (I can't skip a single Ag. class because each class is only offered once every two years, and only in the spring and fall semesters). Tuesday went much better, crashed a health class that I got into, crashed an English class that I got into and finally got into a math 90 class. THANK GOODNESS! There was a night class open. So, bye bye Poli Psy, hello Math 90. By the way, the math professor is awesome. No book! In the end, I don't have a single class on Monday or Friday and I only have two classes on Wednesday both in Ag. I'm taking 17 units and I don't feel overwhelmed at all. I know I will get strait "A's". I have to.

Thankfully I got to spend some quality time with the boys last week at the lab before the insanity began. Cael caught this one.

Meanwhile I have completely neglected the algae lab. I went in really early on Tuesday morning and then did half a day on Wednesday. I only have about 6 or seven experiments running right now. A week ago I had over twelve. I'm not sure how many more Ill have running at a time because we are starting to harvest from the ponds. The harvester is really interesting. We have a pump that sends water into a rotating barrel screen that rinses the algae and then sends the rinsed algae down the pipe to a rotating shake screen that takes all the water out and the water is sent back into the pond. Finally the strained algae is sent to a bucket. I then take the bucket and put it on a rotating dry-rack screen where it is segmented for packaging as dry flaked fish food. Because we aren't cooking it, only drying it, it the Spirulina doesn't loose very much value.

I did get re-elected as Ag. Club Vice President again. I wasn't expecting it this time. I was up against a couple good friends and I felt bad for wining. At least now I know who wants some added responsibility.

Well, I better rush off to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment